All dogs must have the following carried out before approval for breeding is made:
- Hip and elbow x-rayed and free of dysplasia (maximum of 5 per hip, elbows no more than 1 each). Dogs with hip scores a few points above this maximum will be considered on a case-by-case basis i.e. only if they are thought to bring other important qualities to the genepool
- Hip and elbow x-rays are to be graded by an approved vet, Dr Ray Ferguson BVSc of Monash Veterinary Clinic
- DNA testing: Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), MDR1 (no affected or carrier dogs allowed). These two tests are not mandatory ONLY if both parents have been tested and results are "clear - not carriers", as offspring will be clear by parentage. If new, outcross lines, proof of clear by parentage must be provided
- Temperament Assessment (viewed and assessed by at least one of our Breed Advisors)
- Dog individually assessed as per Breed Standard by Breed Advisors
- If new lines, DNA tested to check breed identification, with allowable breeds contained in the dog/s
DNA Testing Links
After Breeders provide copies of all health test results, they must undergo an interview, sign/return our Code of Ethics and have their premises inspected before being reviewed and added as a breeder.
Breeding Advisors must approve all pairings before mating, to ensure phenotype requirements are in line with the Breed Standard and genetics are suitable/valuable to the breed's development.
Hip & Elbow Dysplasia Scheme
The dog is to be hip and elbow x-rayed by a qualified Veterinarian in line with correct HD & ED Scheme positioning. Digital copies of the x-rays are to be e-mailed to Monash Veterinary Clinic firstname.lastname@example.org with the dog's Registration & Certificate of Pedigree. Dr Ray Ferguson BVSc is the approved scorer who grades the x-rays. The cost of the hip and elbow grading and report is $99, and must be paid for at the time of submission. Official results will be sent to the owner via email, which can then be forwarded by the owner to the Lykos Wolfalike Council of Australia.
In summary, the vet who took the x-ray must send Monash Veterinary Clinic (att Ray Ferguson) the following:
- Certificate of Registration & Pedigree (Lykos Wolfalike Council of Australia)
- Completed MVC Hip & Elbow Report Form
At this time, the owner needs to contact Monash Veterinary Clinic (03) 9544 7455, to make payment ($99) for the grading.
Results will be emailed to the owner once completed.